HULL TRINITY HOUSE
HULL TRINITY HOUSE, TRINITY HOUSE LANE
Listed on the National Heritage List for England. Search over 400,000 listed places
Overview
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- Grade:
- I
- List Entry Number:
- 1219563
- Date first listed:
- 13-Oct-1952
- List Entry Name:
- HULL TRINITY HOUSE
- Statutory Address:
- HULL TRINITY HOUSE, TRINITY HOUSE LANE

Location
Location of this list entry and nearby places that are also listed. Use our map search to find more listed places.
Use of this mapping is subject to terms and conditions.
This map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale.
What is the National Heritage List for England?
The National Heritage List for England is a unique register of our country's most significant historic buildings and sites. The places on the list are protected by law and most are not open to the public.
The list includes:
🏠 Buildings
🏰 Scheduled monuments
🌳 Parks and gardens
⚔️ Battlefields
⚓ Shipwrecks
Images of England Project
- Date:
- 2001-04-15
- Reference:
- IOE01/03910/26
- Rights:
- © Mr John Turner. Source: Historic England Archive
Historic England Archive
Search over 1 million photographs and drawings from the 1850s to the present day using our images archive.
Find PhotosOfficial list entry
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- Grade:
- I
- List Entry Number:
- 1219563
- Date first listed:
- 13-Oct-1952
- Date of most recent amendment:
- 21-Jan-1994
- List Entry Name:
- HULL TRINITY HOUSE
- Statutory Address 1:
- HULL TRINITY HOUSE, TRINITY HOUSE LANE
The scope of legal protection for listed buildings
This List entry helps identify the building designated at this address for its special architectural or historic interest.
Unless the List entry states otherwise, it includes both the structure itself and any object or structure fixed to it (whether inside or outside) as well as any object or structure within the curtilage of the building.
For these purposes, to be included within the curtilage of the building, the object or structure must have formed part of the land since before 1st July 1948.
The scope of legal protection for listed buildings
This List entry helps identify the building designated at this address for its special architectural or historic interest.
Unless the List entry states otherwise, it includes both the structure itself and any object or structure fixed to it (whether inside or outside) as well as any object or structure within the curtilage of the building.
For these purposes, to be included within the curtilage of the building, the object or structure must have formed part of the land since before 1st July 1948.
Location
- Statutory Address:
- HULL TRINITY HOUSE, TRINITY HOUSE LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- District:
- City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
- Parish:
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
- TA0988028623
Details
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA0928NE TRINITY HOUSE LANE
680-1/22/377 (North West side)
13/10/52 Hull Trinity House
(Formerly Listed as:
TRINITY HOUSE LANE
(West side)
Trinity House and Offices of Trinity
House)
(Formerly Listed as:
TRINITY HOUSE LANE
(West side)
No.12)
GV I
Trinity house and adjoining offices and houses. Main block
1753; Guild House c1775, by Joseph Page; adjoining houses late
C18 and early C19, with late C19 and C20 alterations;
adjoining offices 1844. Brick, the main block and adjoining
houses with stucco fronts and ashlar dressings, the offices
ashlar. Hipped and gabled slate roofs.
Main block, 2 storeys; 8x7 windows. Polygonal plan with 2
internal courtyards. Plinth, quoins, moulded cornice, coped
parapet and 3 large coped ridge stacks. Windows are 12-pane
sashes with moulded surrounds and bracketed sills, those to
the ground floor with cornices. Projecting centre with 2
windows under a 3-bay pediment with elaborate coat of arms and
2 reclining allegorical figures by Jeremiah Hargrave. Below,
central portal with steps and 2 engaged Doric columns carrying
entablature and segmental pediment. Moulded stone doorcase
with keystone, panelled recess and fielded 6-panel door. On
either side, 2 windows on each floor. Left return, to
Posterngate, has 7 windows on each floor.
Rear elevation, to south courtyard, has a central glazing bar
window with a round-arched moulded and shouldered surround,
flanked by two 12-pane sashes. Below, central portal with 2
Doric columns and cornice and fielded 6-panel door in plain
surround. To its left, a blank, and to right, two 12-pane
sashes. In the angle to left, a curved single-storey corridor
with sill band and cornice, and a tripartite glazing bar sash
with cornice and brackets.
South range has five 12-pane sashes and below, 4 similar
windows with a C20 glazed door to right. North range has six
12-pane sashes on each floor. All these windows have painted
brick flat flat arches.
Guild House, forming north range and containing Board Room and
Council Chamber, has a 2-storey projecting centre with quoins,
flanked by single bays. Plinth, overall cornice and blocking,
single gable stack. In the centre, 2 Venetian windows with
bracketed sill and plain sashes and below, 2 tripartite
glazing bar sashes. In the centre, between floors, a coat of
arms in relief. 3-storey side bays have plain sashes and
above, smaller 3-light sashes, all with keystone lintels.
Below, to left, a 12-pane sash and to right a panelled door
with fanlight, both with round-arched surrounds with imposts
and keystones. Stucco rear elevation has first-floor band,
string course and cornice, and ground floor divided by
pilasters. Large central round-headed glazing bar sash flanked
by similar smaller windows, and below, five 15-pane sashes,
the 3 to right with margin glazed top lights. On either side,
square 2 storeys windowless projections.
Smaller north courtyard has to east a 2-storey block, 4
windows, containing the General Office. Single octagonal side
wall stack. Four large 9-pane sashes and below, four larger
12-pane sashes, all with brick flat arches. West range has
three 12-pane sashes and below, a 6-panel door to left and 3
similar sashes to right. North range has a gable stack. To
left, a higher block with a blank to left and two 6-pane
sashes to right. To right. a lower block with two 3-light
windows. Below, a blank to left, then 2 tripartite sashes,
then 2 similar sashes. All these windows have brick flat
arches.
2-storey north range containing the reading room has a hipped
roof with 2 octagonal rear wall stacks and a flat topped
octagonal lantern. Four 12-pane sashes and below, 2 similar
sashes flanked by single panelled doors. All these windows
have brick flat arches. In the centre, an inscribed shield
removed from the Trinity House almshouses.
Adjoining houses, now workshops, fronting Posterngate, have
steep pitched slate roofs with 3 gable and 2 ridge stacks. Low
coped parapet. 3 storeys plus garrets; 8-window range of plain
sashes and above, eight 6-pane sashes. Below, 2 plain sashes
flanked by a handed pair of late C19 wooden shop fronts with
late C20 alterations. Both have pilasters and shaped brackets
to fascia cornices. Left opening has a pair of large double
doors flanked to right by a door and overlight. Right shop
front has a central single-pane window with overlight, flanked
by double doors with fanlights.
Beyond, to left, an early C19 house, 2 storeys; 3-window
range. Painted stucco front with coped parapet. 3 plain sashes
and below, a large double doorway with glazing bar overlight,
and to its right a door with overlight, and above it, a
window.
Office, to right of main block, 2 storeys; 3-window range.
Plinth, dentillated moulded cornice with console brackets,
gable stack with 4 octagonal flues. 3 stone mullioned cross
casements with moulded surrounds and below, stone doorcase
with cornice on consoles and recessed panelled half-glazed
double door with eared surround. On either side, a cross
casement with eared surround.
INTERIOR: main block has stone cantilever winder staircase and
landing with wrought-iron balustrade and ramped wooden
handrail, by John Waugh.
First floor Court Room has enriched dentillated cornice and
enriched coved ceiling. Walls have raised plaster panels and
to east, 2 round-arched recesses with Venetian windows with
Ionic columns and enriched heads. To west, an apsidal recess
with shell ceiling. South end has an inlaid marble Classical
fireplace flanked by moulded doorcases with enriched friezes
and cornices on scroll brackets, by J Hargrave. North end has
a similar central doorcase.
Council Chamber has moulded plaster wall panels and cornice
and enriched ceiling with oval panel. To west, 3 round-arched
windows with panelled recesses. Adjoining Museum Room, C19,
has dentillated cornice and cross beam ceiling with strapwork.
C19 oval Reading Room has elaborate cornice and frieze and
enriched ceiling with coved oval dome and lantern, in debased
Classical style. 4 corniced doorcases with chain ornament and
curved margin stile doors. Marble fireplace.
Chart Room has coved ceiling with margin glazed skylight, and
fitted glass cases, cupboards and drawers.
Canoe Room, below Board Room, has moulded cornice and cross
beam ceiling, and late C19 Tudor style stone fireplace. C20
elliptical arch to adjoining ante room with a large
segment-headed recess and 3 doorcases converted to showcases.
Adjoining hallway, C19, has imitation marble panelling and
enriched cornice. Stairwell in similar style has dentillated
cornice and margin-glazed skylight. Oak winder stair with
turned lotus-leaf balusters.
Hull Trinity House was founded as a religious guild in 1369,
and became a guild solely concerned with seamen and an
authority in maritime affairs in 1456. Trinity House has
occupied its present site continuously since c1457.
No.12 was listed on 16.06.71
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 272-273; Hall I & E: Georgian
Hull: York: 1978-1979: PASSIM; Harvey A S: The Trinity House
of Kingston Upon Hull: Hull: 1950-).
Listing NGR: TA 09880 28623
Legacy
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- 387823
- Legacy System:
- LBS
Sources
Books and journals
Hall, I, E , , A New Picture of Georgian Hull, (1978)
Harvey, A S, The Trinity House of Kingston Upon Hull, (1950)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 272 to 273
Legal
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Map
This map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2025 at 07:55:48.
Download a full scale map (PDF)© Crown copyright [and database rights] 2025. OS AC0000815036. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2025. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
End of official list entry